Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pumpkin Bread


We are now a couple weeks into fall, and October is finally here... or more like, I can't believe it's already October! What does that mean exactly? It means it's time for pumpkin bread. :) It doesn't quite feel like fall for me until I've had a slice of pumpkin bread. The delectable combination of pumpkin and spice with a sweet touch of chocolate makes this a "must have" for the season.

I was first introduced to pumpkin bread my senior year in high school, and yes, I can still see myself sitting in the cafeteria across from my friend who was eating the lunch her mom had made for her. When I inquired about what she was eating, she was kind enough to share a bite with me and I immediately fell in love! This same friend just so happened to become my roommate for all four years of college (love ya Mel), and when she would bring back a loaf of this bread after visiting home I would shamelessly devour more than my half. I know what you must be thinking, and no, her mom's pumpkin bread is not the only reason I chose to live with her. :) When I got married, her mom graciously passed along her recipe and I think of them both every time I make it. A co-worker later gave me the idea of adding chocolate chips, and boy is that an extra treat!

You can't go wrong with this recipe. It pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk. Enjoy!

Ingredients
Yields 3 loaves
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup water
1 (15oz) can Libby's pumpkin
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate morsels (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 325°. Grease 3 loaf pans.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, mix all ingredients (excluding chocolate) until well combined; scrape down bowl as needed. Stir in chocolate morsels by hand. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pans. Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center of loaf comes out clean.

Note: I always have to bake about 15-20 minutes longer than the recipe calls for. Set timer for 50 minutes and if additional baking is needed check back every 5-10 minutes until bread is done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!!!!!!!!!

Mary on October 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM said...

I am absolutely addicted to this recipe! YUM-MY!

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice